11 January 2024 at 08:37 (GMT) Download PDF
- Trainline commits to reaching net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2040
- Trainline also commits to near-term target reducing scope 1 and 2 emissions by 55% by 2030
- Trainline becomes one of UK’s first 100 companies to have net-zero targets approved by SBTi
Trainline has committed to taking urgent action to help limit the rise in global temperatures by gaining official approval for its ambitious science-based net zero targets.
Trainline’s commitments have been officially verified by Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi), the global body enabling businesses to set ambitious emissions reduction targets in line with climate science. This means Trainline becomes one of the first 100 UK-based companies to have had their net-zero targets approved by SBTi, and one of around 550 businesses globally to have set these net-zero targets.
Trainline has committed to achieving a package of emission reductions:
Overall Net-Zero Target
Reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions across the value chain by 2040.
- Reduce absolute scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions 55.2% by 2030 from a 2020 base year.
- That 80% of our suppliers by spend covering purchased goods and services will have science-based targets by 2028.
- Reduce absolute Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions 90% by 2040 versus 2020.
- Reduce absolute scope 3 GHG greenhouse gas emissions 90% within the same time frame
We promote rail and its credentials as a greener travel choice than car or plane, so that means we must also lead by example when it comes to the environmental impact of our own business. We have committed to net zero through these science-based targets to show we are determined to substantially reduce our carbon emissions, and to play our part in addressing the climate change challenge facing society.
Pete Wood, Chief Financial Officer of Trainline
Transport is the highest emitting sector in the UK, accounting for more than a quarter (27%) of our greenhouse gas emissions. Cars account for 68% of these emissions. Travelling by rail creates 67% less CO2 emissions than travelling by car, and 86% less than air travel.
Trainline is dedicated to action on three key priorities focused on driving positive change and reducing emissions in the transport sector.
Measure & Reduce
- Trainline will aim to reduce their scope 1 and 2 emissions at an accelerated pace through the deployment of renewable electricity, and procurement of lower-carbon gas alternatives.
- Due to the large portion of scope 3 emissions in Trainline’s carbon footprint, there is a focus on supplier engagement in the short- to medium term, to ensure suppliers remain actively invested in reducing the emissions of their products as well.
- Trainline is also working with key suppliers to develop bespoke activity-based models and lifecycle assessments, for example digital marketing, to improve emissions measurement.
Educate & Inform
- As Europe’s number one most downloaded rail travel app, Trainline’s mission is to empower people to make greener travel choices through our products and data.
- Recent initiatives like personalised carbon dashboards, which show the CO2 emissions saved by taking the train instead of driving, are helping people understand the impact of their travel.
Influence & Change
- Trainline has initiated the “I came by train” movement to celebrate and build greater public awareness of the environmental benefits of rail travel.
- Our goal is to increase the number of citizens choosing to travel by train, supporting the UK Climate Change Committee’s targets for a 30% increase in passenger rail travel by 2035.
- We make rail travel simpler and more seamless, helping more people find average savings of 35% through our SplitSave product, Advance tickets and digital Railcards which makes rail a more attractive travel choice.
All dates for net-zero targets refer to Trainline’s Financial Year, which closes in the February of the relevant calendar year.
About Trainline: Trainline is Europe’s #1 most downloaded rail travel app, selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travellers worldwide. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 270 rail and coach carriers across more than 40 countries and help our customers find the best value fares for their journey plus smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.